A few weeks ago I made some lemon squares, oh yum. Since my lemon tree is still overflowing with lemony goodness, I keep baking and making treats with the ever so juicy lemons.
This is my favorite recipe for lemon squares from The Betty Crocker Ultimate Cookie Book. I think I got this book from my Mom a few years ago. Thanks Mom!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Mix flour, butter and powered sugar.
- Press into ungreased square pan 8x8x2 or 9x9x2, building up a ½ edge to form a small crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Beat the remaining ingredients together on high-speed until light and fluffy.
- Pour this mixture over the baked layer, and bake again for 25-30 minutes.
- There should be almost no indentation remaining when lightly touched in the center. A thin crust will form over the top of the bars.
- While the pan is still warm sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.
- Cool the pan completely, and then sprinkle with a second layer of powdered sugar.
I cut the 8×8 size pan into small little squares, and remember the lemon flavor gets better with age. If you can stand to let these little beauties sit around for a few days they taste better and better each day. This batch was particularly yummy, and the lemony middle just melted in your mouth. I have to admit they did not last long, and I made a second batch a few days later.
My next lemony adventure will most likely be a lemony sorbet. Looking forward to trying that one next week. Happy baking everyone. What’s your favorite lemony recipe?